Saturday, November 25, 2006

11/13 Monday

Today I acquired a bike from Terry. She decided it was too cold by now to be biking. I took it all the way back to the music school from the Cummins office, riding on the side of the fourth ring road, avoiding stopping buses, turning taxis, and grocery-laden people along the way. As dangerous as it may look, I found that as long as I stay alongside another cyclist or in the middle of a pack, the motor vehicles are much less likely to attempt to run me over. Bicycles are extremely cheap, and to buy a new from a large store costs about 200-300 yuan, and second-hand ones can be gotten for 30-80 yuan. There are bicycle repair stands all over Beijing, with men who will tighten brakes, inflate your tires, replace your seat, or bend your wheel back to normal, all for pennies.

I began my search for some exercise, and chose soccer because I packed a pair of cleats. I looked up some teams in Beijing, and sent a couple of emails out. I almost immediately got a response from at team called the Barbarians, and was invited to join them in a game on Saturday. I accepted and got some of the details. Here is the Barbarian homepage: http://www.beijingbarbarians.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Charles, I enjoy reading your comments. I hope you continue. Biking is how I moved around in all my travels. At night I had a small leg lamp, today they are with LED's Your VT neighbor