Wednesday, October 25, 2006

10/24 Tuesday

I slept until 7:30 and woke up to finish my Da Chen book, Colors of the Mountain (highly recommended). I then went back to sleep until 12:00.

Colm took me out to see the Cummins distribution center in Beijing. It was located outside the city in Kai Fa Qu, a Special Economic Zone, which is a business area with tax incentives and an independent power system. I got to go into the Cummins building and see some of the people I met at the Xin Jiang restaurant. We were asking around for people who might be interested in getting some English language practice with me, and there was certainly a demand. We toured the repair and testing center there, and I saw some gigantic engines, ones that could crank out over 2000 horse power. These are used in dump trucks and heavy vehicles. I also saw some of the Cummins power generation units, which are engines that generate electricity. These are used as back up generators in hospitals and other important buildings, as well as to power house lights and utilities in some rural areas of China. Apparently the power generation units are really selling well because the industry and demand for electricity is far outstripping the country's power capabilities and infrastructure.

There was a ping pong table right off the floor of the warehouse, where employees often play. I was very excited about this, and I think it will give me another way to connect to the people working there. In terms of helping some of the employees with their English, there is an idea in the works to have a conference room turned into a lunch room one day a week, where we will be able to talk in english and maybe do some exercises.

Colm took me out for a foot massage at a chain of reputable massage places called Dragonfly. There are hundreds and hundreds of massage places in Beijing, but many are 'sketchy', as in you may be paying for much more than a massage. The foot massage was really nice, with relaxing music, and dimmed lights. My back has been hurting a lot, so I really need to get a back massage at some point.

On the way back from the massage, we stopped to check out a new chic-looking hotel. It had some cool architecture including an open central part (with small l.e.d. lights dangling down by threads) surrounded by a couple floors of rooms, a book bar with comfy seats surrounded by book shelves, water pools that would eventually have fish, and bathrooms that had circular basin tubs and tons of glass. The woman who showed us around said that there weren't any other 'boutique' hotels like this in Beijing.


I started reading a book I brought along called North Korea by Bruce Cumings, published in '04. It is quite interesting so far. Apparently North Korean men must serve in the military from 18 years of age for 8 years, the first 6 of which they are not allowed any leave or to see/call their families. Women also serve, but for a shorter term of 6 years. Out of a population of 23 million, 7 million are in the armed forces. It is thus called a 'garrison' state.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is great! don't stop!